Jan 4, 2011

more words on treatment

My doctor has always been mystified about treating my GERD.  Because I am not overweight it seems to frustrate his idea of what causes my condition to continue to proliferate.  My personal take on my GERD is that as a life-long sufferer, my chemical digestive system is simply too acidic.  It is made worse by stress and diet.

Years ago as my running and exercise increased I began to take OTC acid reducers such as Tums.  I would usually chew two of these immediately prior to going on a 3-5 mile run.  They worked to keep my esophageal burning to a minimum while running.  However, since getting on the Nexium, then Zegerid regimen, I no longer have to use chew-able acid reducers.   I also tried Prilosec OTC but the Zegerid OTC seemed to work better.  My doctor had previously prescribed a 40mg version of Zegerid which I had used successfully.  Zegerid contains a dose of sodium bicarbonate which is an old treatment for indigestion.  I now go to Costco and purchase a 3-pack of Zegerid for an approximate one month supply, since my doctor approved 40mg per day.  The OTC Zegerid pill contains 20mg.  I take one in the morning and one at bedtime.

About 7 years ago this same doctor performed a regular colonoscopy.  He also took advantage of the opportunity to do an esophageal endoscope, which did not reveal any major esophageal issues associated with my GERD.  When he does my next colonoscopy in several years, I plan to ask that he also do the esophageal endoscope at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment