Jan 6, 2011

dieting, part 2

This is a continuation of the earlier post.

I am convinced that the diet industry and the endless cycle of dieting endured by many adult Americans have contributed to the poor health and obesity problem in our society today.  In my humble opinion (IMHO), I believe that adults who engage in periodic cycles of weight gain and dieting without changing their attitudes and lifestyle about food and exercise have contributed greatly to our national healthcare crisis.  I write this without facts and research, however, I deeply believe in this theory.  I grieve for family and friends who seek to lose weight periodically without permanently changing their eating habits and food choices.  Regular (4-5 times @ week) strenuous exercise requires a discipline that many people just don't have or can accommodate.  I hate that for them!

I firmly believe that dieting is a short term solution to a long term problem.  Unless you learn to live and eat healthy (proper foods and regular strenuous exercise), temporary abstinence, calorie, fat, and carb reductions only contribute to the re-gain of lost weight.  This also causes accelerated anxiety and mental fatigue and strains every area of your life including your relationships at home and work.

Maybe my answer is too simple.  Yet, I am convinced that the remedy to obesity and poor health for many in our society is a cessation of dieting and a permanent change in what we eat and how we exercise.

I never diet.  I watch lots of television.  I have deserts occasionally.  I enjoy an occasional fine steak meal.  I love sweet ice tea!  However, I refuse to consume any of those foods in excess.  And, I exercise strenuously with regularity.  I weigh myself first thing every morning and never allow myself to vary from my target / ideal weight by more than several pounds.  My waist size is 33 inches and has been for 20 years!  I consume 80+ ounces of water daily.  I try to maintain a level metabolism by eating 3 meals per day (and, I do fail at that when work and life get too consuming).  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, however, for years, I skipped breakfast.  Not any more!!  But, no chicken-biscuits or egg croissants.   My breakfast consists of a whole grain muffin, an apple or/and banana, and two cups of coffee.  Both for health and GERD treatment, I consume raw fruits and vegetables throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment