Feb 18, 2011

staying hydrated and running

As a lifelong runner I have had to learn some hard lessons about staying hydrated and being sure I am properly prepared to run 4-5 times per week.  I am not a marathon runner.  I run for two primary reasons:


1.  For exercise, fitness, weight control, and health concerns
2.  For emotional health enjoying the "runner's high" and stress management regular running provides


Through the years (31 years of regular running) I have had several harrowing experiences of dehydration.  You would think that one would learn the lesson once and not repeat.  However, in the pace of everyday life, I sometimes forget to hydrate properly and rush to get my run in before the day ends.  Once I got dehydrated so badly that I woke up in the middle of the night shaking violently with symptoms similar to having a high fever, except my body temperature was actually lower than normal.  Realizing the problem I immediately consumed water and after about one hour returned to normal health.  Several times per month I will have flu-like symptoms about one hour after a run (normally 6 miles, at a 9 minute pace), which are caused by dehydration.


I have noticed that the older I get, the more I have to be careful about this.   For me, I have found that I need to consume at least 90 ounces of water during the day to be fully hydrated for an evening run, winter or summer.  Of course, I continue to consume up to 90 ounces of water by the end of the work day (plus 16 ounces of coffee at breakfast and water or tea consumed at lunch).  Obviously, there are frequent trips to the restroom.  However, the water does keep me hydrated and prepares me for my evening run which is usually a distance of about 6 miles lasting one hour.  In the winter, hydration is equally as important as running in the hot-humid summer.  I tend to overdress with layers in the winter running in evening temperatures of anywhere from 10 degrees to 50 degrees.  This causes me to sweat profusely, even in the winter, which is my goal.  Sweating is healthy for your immune system and helps expel toxins from your system.  Depending on the level of humidity, I sweat through 5 layers of clothing.  My layers of clothing consist of:

1.  First layer is a Nike thermal mock crew exercise shirt
2.  Second layer is a NorthFace short sleeve running shirt
3.  Third layer is a cotton turtleneck shirt (also used when snow skiing)
4.  Fourth layer is a cotton sweat shirt
5.  Fifth layer (if needed) is another cotton sweatshirt hoodie

So, for me, staying hydrated is essential to daily health.  It also helps treat the symptoms of GERD by diluting stomach acid (for me)..  


No comments:

Post a Comment