Feb 16, 2011

ice and ice water

I have read in several articles that ice and ice water help curb esophagus burning.  I usually get to my office at about 7:30 every morning.  I bring breakfast with me and spend the first 15 minutes of the day catching up on email while eating my breakfast consisting of a sliced Gala apple, a whole grain muffin made by my wife, and 16 ounces of coffee (which is consumed for the caffeine to get me going!).  I also have a 32 ounce Nalgene water bottle that I fill with ice and filtered water from home.

When I am finished consuming the coffee, I begin to work on the 32 ounces of ice water.  If you have done any research at all on the causes of GERD, you know that caffeine and coffee do promote acid in the stomach.  Coffee digests as an acid (as opposed to an alkaline), which in theory, promotes GERD.  I have found that consuming the ice water and ice over a period of 3 hours after the overdose of morning coffee dilutes the effects of the acid formation caused by digesting the coffee and helps keep burning to a minimum or non-existent (if I'm having a good day GERD-wise).

For me, ice water does help "cool" the esophagus and stomach and "quiet" the symptoms of GERD.  See the next post on my consumption of water and exercise program.

No comments:

Post a Comment